Author Topic: Mary Loftus  (Read 5373 times)

Duane

• Administrator
    • LoftusWeb
Mary Loftus
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
I found your awesome site recently as a result of reading “The Invention of Memory: An Irish Family Scrapbook (1560-1934)”.

My research has identified Mary Loftus as my 9th great grandmother, married to Charles Cosby of Stradbally Hall, Ireland.
I have found numerous Cosby and peerage claims, as well as the one shown below from the Millennium File, that Mary is the daughter
of Archbishop Adam Loftus, Archbishop of Dublin (St Patrick’s Cathedral, Church of Ireland). I have not been able to find
any records on Adam Loftus that indicate that any of his 20 children were named Mary and Simon Loftus makes no mention
of her in the book referenced above. I have even visited Marsh Library at St Patrick’s Cathedral to have them research this and
they also found no linkage.

Does anyone have any definitive record of Mary’s parentage?

Thanks,
Sam Allgood

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:30:12 AM by Duane »

Duane

• Administrator
    • LoftusWeb
Re: Mary Loftus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:29:50 AM »
Message relayed from Guy Loftus:

I'm afraid this one is a little complicated - I guess his information comes from:

"Charles COSBY. Born on September 12, 1585 in Stradbally Abbey, Queens County, Ireland. Charles died in York County, Virginia.

Charles married Mary LOFTUS, daughter of Adam LOFTUS (-1605) & Jane PRUDEN. Mary died on November 23, 1623.

They had one child:
12    i.    John (1623-1696)

9. Francis COSBY. Born on 1 Jan 1570/1571 in Stradbally Hall, Queen's County, Ireland. Francis died in Battle of Stradbally Bridge, Stradbally, Queen's County, Ireland on May 19, 1596; he was 26. Occupation: Captain of the Kerne.

Francis married Helen (or Ellen) HARTPOLE, daughter of Robert HARTPOLE.

They had one child:
i.    UNNAMED.
"

Sam is not the first one to get caught up in this and I admit, I don't understand it.  I have been in touch with a distant cousin of Sam's, who may be able to shed some light on it...

All the best,

Guy