Author Topic: Loftus from Kiltimagh, County Mayo  (Read 5699 times)

Kathleen Loftus Thayer

Loftus from Kiltimagh, County Mayo
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:04:30 AM »
Hi
I am a first generation Irish American.  My father, Thomas Patrick Loftus, was born in Thornhill, Kiltimagh, County Mayo.  His ggf, Martin Loftus, was from Cuillaun near Swinford in County Mayo.  There were Loftuses in this area in the Swinford area from at least the early 1800's.  He said the gaelic translation of Loftus (OLoughlan) was "son of the stranger" so I think his family were not recent transplants.  Would like to hear from other Loftuses from this area
Kathleen Loftus Thayer

jloughney

Re: Loftus from Kiltimagh, County Mayo
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:32:13 AM »
[quote author=Kathleen Loftus Thayer link=topic=145.msg153#msg153 date=1393596270]
Hi
I am a first generation Irish American.  My father, Thomas Patrick Loftus, was born in Thornhill, Kiltimagh, County Mayo.  His ggf, Martin Loftus, was from Cuillaun near Swinford in County Mayo.  There were Loftuses in this area in the Swinford area from at least the early 1800's.  He said the gaelic translation of Loftus (OLoughlan) was "son of the stranger" so I think his family were not recent transplants.  Would like to hear from other Loftuses from this area
Kathleen Loftus Thayer
[/quote] Interesting, I haven't heard that translation.

I usually go by this:

http://www.libraryireland.com/names/ol/o-lachtnain.php

Ó LACHTNÁIN—I—O Laghnane, O Loghnane, O Loughnane, O Loughton, Laughnan, Loughnane, Loughnan, Loughrane, Loughran, Lawton, (Loughlan, Loughlin, O'Loughlin, MacLoughlin, Loftus); 'descendant of Lachtnán' (diminutive of Lachtna, grey); the name of several distinct families in different parts of Ireland, as:— (1) Ó Lachtnáin of Mayo, also called Ó Lachtna (which see), who were chiefs of the district called the Two Bacs, now the parish of Bacs, and of Glen Nephin, in the barony of Tirawley, and are still numerous in Connacht, but often disguise their name under the anglicised form of Loftus. This family gave bishops to various sees in Connacht in the 13th and 14th centuries. (2) Ó Lachtnáin of Teffia, a midland family who were anciently chiefs of Teathbha, in the present counties of Longford and Westmeath. (3) Ó Lachtnáin of Oriel, who were anciently chiefs of Mughdorn Breagh, which O'Donovan places in the north of Meath, where it adjoins the county of Monaghan. (4) Ó Lachtnáin of Ui Maine, who were followers of O'Kelly. (5) Ó Lachtnáin of Cinel Eoghain; and (6) Ó Lachtnáin of Siol Muireadhaigh, both mentioned by MacFirbis. In the 16th century, it was also found in Co. Down, Kilkenny, Tipperary and Cork. It is often corrupted to Ó Lochláin, anglicised Loughlin and MacLoughlin, and to Ó Lochráin, anglicised Loughrane, Loughran. Lawton is now the anglicised form in Co. Cork.