Author Topic: Martin / George Loftus - USA/Ireland  (Read 2055 times)

Duane

• Administrator
    • LoftusWeb
Martin / George Loftus - USA/Ireland
« on: August 01, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »
Good morning,
My grandmother was born out of wedlock in 1889, in Port Leyden, NY, north of Utica, NY.  Family rumor was that her father was a George Loftus.  Using census and newspaper obituaries, I found his parents were Martin Loftus, a carriage maker, and Ann Finerty.  I also found this siblings and their descendants.  A descendant of George's sister, Mike Gilligan, is doing genealogy.  We both submitted DNA samples confirming that we are 4th cousins. 

So, I am now interested in finding a Martin Loftus and an Ann Finerty, both in Ireland in the 1820s.  Martin was a carriage maker by trade. 

I attach a tentative Loftus genealogy for the Constableville, NY, Loftus family.  You have my permission to post this if you wish.

If you have any suggestions on how to track Loftus lines in Ireland, I would be interested.  I have DNA samples in Ancestry.com and in FamilyTreeDNA.  So, if an Irish Loftus genealogists are interested in submitting a sample, we might be able to trace lines via biology.

Sincerely,
Floyd Rudmin

LancsLoftus

Re: Martin / George Loftus - USA/Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Hi,

I found online a tree with Martin and Ann Loftus with 2 children, George, born 1847 in Oneida, New York and Mary Elizabeth, born 1846 in Ireland.  Martin and Ann were born in Sligo, Ireland.  On Rootsweb Ireland I put in Ann's name as it was less common than Martin's, with the  year 1846 +/- 5 years, to try to find Mary Elizabeth's birth.  It came up with 1 hit for a birth and 1 hit for a marriage.  Unfortunately this site uses credits, which I don't have but it might be worth you taking out the smallest subscription possible to check this out.  Good luck!