Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Looking for ... / Edward Loftus
« Last post by Duane on November 12, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
To whom it may concern,

My family are seeking to find Edward Loftus (my Uncle) he was born in Asburton New Zealand, he was a printer/compositor.

He traveled to Melbourne Australia many years ago, the last known information was that he traveled to America - no one has heard from him since then.

He would be in his 80s now - any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

Duncan.

blobby117@gmail.com <blobby117@gmail.com>;
Info on Family / NYC Loftus family
« Last post by Pam Miller on November 06, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
It took me 40 years of researching, but I finally found my NYC Loftus family last year.  My grandmother's grandmother was Katherine Loftus.  I had a picture of her and knew her father's name, but aside from that I knew nothing about her early life. 

Now I know that her parents were David and Ellen Kivlon Loftus, who arrived in the US in the 1830's.  All their children - James, Ellen, Roger, John, David and Katherine - were born in NYC.  They lived in the infamous Five Points area, at 94 Baxter St, for decades, and like many other young men in the area, the boys became involved in gang activity.  James was charged with murder in 1859, Roger was stabbed in the shoulder and died in early 1861 and even David had his share of less serious run-ins with the law before he went off to fight the Civil War.

The family used the same names over and over.  Every generation seemed to have a David and a James.  David's father was also David, and his son James had a son named David, who had a son named James. 

John died as a child, Ellen died unmarried in her 40's and only my g-g-g-grandmother lived a long life.  She married Jospeh Matthews and they moved to Hoboken in the early 1880's.  Her parents joined them there and died in NJ.  Katherine herself died in 1920, at seventy.

I had my DNA tested last year and appear to be low match to Montgomery Jude Loftus, who is a member of this forum.  I'd be interested in comparing notes with him.  Would anyone else with a GEDmatch kit be willing to see if I'm connected?  My kit number is M010220.
Looking for ... / Re: Martin / George Loftus - USA/Ireland
« Last post by LancsLoftus on October 10, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Hi,

I found online a tree with Martin and Ann Loftus with 2 children, George, born 1847 in Oneida, New York and Mary Elizabeth, born 1846 in Ireland.  Martin and Ann were born in Sligo, Ireland.  On Rootsweb Ireland I put in Ann's name as it was less common than Martin's, with the  year 1846 +/- 5 years, to try to find Mary Elizabeth's birth.  It came up with 1 hit for a birth and 1 hit for a marriage.  Unfortunately this site uses credits, which I don't have but it might be worth you taking out the smallest subscription possible to check this out.  Good luck!
Looking for ... / Bridget Mutagh / Loftus - County Mayo Ireland
« Last post by Duane on August 07, 2016, 01:23:04 AM »
Hello, I just came across your website after having no luck with this branch of my family tree.
Our connection to the Loftus family is sketchy; this is the info I have.
My grandfather's sister, Bridget Murtagh was born  in/near Woodfield, County Mayo. I am not sure exactly when she was born, sometime between 1860-1870, I am guessing. Bridget Murtagh married a man named Loftus, and they had 2 sons: Patrick and Michael, and 1 daughter.  These children would have been born between 1900-1920.  Patrick may have been raised by his grandparents...That is really all I have...it is very scant, but thought I would take a chance and contact you. My Grandfather, Michael Murtagh, was born about 1864 in Woodfield Kilkelly. He had several siblings:, including a brother John, who went to America. Michael moved to England in the late 1890's, and married and raised a family there. My father was one of his 11 children, and moved to Canada when he was just 16, in 1926. I doubt you will find any connections with the info I provided, but thought there was no harm in trying. All the best, Marie Murtagh.
Looking for ... / Martin / George Loftus - USA/Ireland
« Last post by Duane on August 01, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »
Good morning,
My grandmother was born out of wedlock in 1889, in Port Leyden, NY, north of Utica, NY.  Family rumor was that her father was a George Loftus.  Using census and newspaper obituaries, I found his parents were Martin Loftus, a carriage maker, and Ann Finerty.  I also found this siblings and their descendants.  A descendant of George's sister, Mike Gilligan, is doing genealogy.  We both submitted DNA samples confirming that we are 4th cousins. 

So, I am now interested in finding a Martin Loftus and an Ann Finerty, both in Ireland in the 1820s.  Martin was a carriage maker by trade. 

I attach a tentative Loftus genealogy for the Constableville, NY, Loftus family.  You have my permission to post this if you wish.

If you have any suggestions on how to track Loftus lines in Ireland, I would be interested.  I have DNA samples in Ancestry.com and in FamilyTreeDNA.  So, if an Irish Loftus genealogists are interested in submitting a sample, we might be able to trace lines via biology.

Sincerely,
Floyd Rudmin
Info on Family / Loftus Ian Alan
« Last post by Ian Loftus on February 21, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »
My name is Ian Alan Loftus Aged 60 and I live at St Margaret's at Cliffe, Kent, England. I served in the British Army, Her Majesty's Prison Service and Kent Police and now work for Stagecoach South East at Dover Depot as the Assistant Operations Manager.
Announcements / Re: Alan Thomas Loftus 1927 - 2015
« Last post by Ian Loftus on February 21, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »
It is a year today since Dad passed away, it has gone so quick and it does still feel strange to think he has gone. Last saw him 3 months before he died.
Looking for ... / Re: Thomas Loftus 1804 of Birmingham, England
« Last post by LancsLoftus on October 28, 2015, 05:22:53 AM »
I forgot to add that the marriages were apparently at St. Peter's, , Wolverhampton.
Looking for ... / Re: Thomas Loftus 1804 of Birmingham, England
« Last post by LancsLoftus on October 27, 2015, 02:36:07 AM »
Hello,

I found a tree online which gives his first wife's name as Catherine Lane, born c. 1806.  Marriage 3 April 1825.

Second wife is Ann Adey, marriage 21 Sept 1839.  Can't find anything on his mother.
Looking for ... / Thomas Loftus 1804 of Birmingham, England
« Last post by dpilk on October 18, 2015, 02:34:57 AM »
Dear Friends
I am trying to trace the mother and the first wife of Thomas Loftus (1804) of Birmingham, England.
The 1851 census at the Rookery in Wolverhampton and shows him as a 47 (1804) year old key maker born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, with 2nd wife Ann, son Benjamin  and a nephew, Richard Hammersley.

His son Michael was baptised 23 July 1836 at Wednesfield, St Thomas Church, Father: Thomas, Key maker and mother Catherine (1st wife).

Catherine was buried 3 Feb 1839 at Wednesfied Staffordshire. I have not traced Catherineís marriage to Thomas (1804) so have not established her maiden name or ancestry.

The burial of Thomas (1804) in 1863 shows Michael Loftus (?1758) as his father.

The baptism of a Michael Loftus (?1758) son of Michael & Mary is recorded in Birmingham on 3 June 1758, He might be the father of Thomas (1804)

Marriage records of son Michael (1836).shows name as "Thomas Didymus Loftus", key maker. I am not sure if this means he had a twin sibling.

I have not traced a baptism of Thomas so have not found his motherís name.

Are you able to help please?

David Pilkington
dpilk@cantab.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7